Other free legal support

If you need some support but cannot afford to pay for a solicitor, the following services may be able to help.


YorLaw is a service provided by Citizens Advice York for residents of York with children who are going through the Family Courts. They may also be able to provide a McKenzie Friend to accompany you to court and take notes for you.

Yorlaw offers free of charge legal services to clients who do not have a solicitor, are resident in the York and are referred by Citizens Advice York (CAY). The legal services provided are limited to advice and may include assistance with court paper work of a limited kind.

Call 01904 623648 for more information.

Rights of Women

Rights of Women can provide legal advice over the telephone on their national helpline for women in England and Wales
Call 020 7251 6577
Tuesday – Thursday 7pm – 9pm, Friday 12pm – 2pm
The line is closed on bank holidays.

Rights of Women can also provide support via a domestic abuse service, such as IDAS.
If you’re working for a front-line organisation and are working with women experiencing domestic abuse, get in touch:
Phone: 0203 745 7707
Email: flows@rcjadvice.org.uk
Advice is available Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm

University Law Clinics

University Law Clinics can provide some limited advice. Often the service is only available during term time. The service usually takes some time and the advice is often provided in written form rather than a face to face consultation.

If you require legal advice, please either email: law-clinic@york.ac.uk or telephone 01904 325819

Other universities may also provide law clinics.

Advocacy Services

Advocacy Services can help you to understand your rights and may be able to accompany you to court.

York Advocacy Service

Phone: 01904 414357
Email: office@yorkadvocacy.org.uk

York Older Citizens Advocacy

Tel: 01904 676200
Email: info@ocay.org.uk

Support Through Court

Support Through Court, formerly known as PSU, have trained volunteers who can provide support when you are going to court. They do not operate in every court, however you may be able to call them for assistance. You can check which locations they are working in and their phone number on their website.



CourtNav is an online tool to assist victims of domestic abuse apply for non-molestation orders (injunctions). The tool will also try to establish if you would be entitled to any legal aid support to assist you with your application. Legal Aid is funding to help cover the cost of legal fees. If so, it will direct you to a local solicitor who can help you. If you are not able to get Legal Aid, CourtNav will take you through the application process step by step with easy-to-follow instructions. The final form will be checked and sent to you for you to submit the application to your local court without legal representation.



Community Legal Outreach Collaboration Keele (CLOCK) is a service provided by students who are trained to be Community Legal Companions. Community Legal Companions do not offer legal advice. They can assist with navigating court proceedings and filling in forms. They will also check whether Legal Aid funding might be available and put you in touch with local law firms.